If you’re trying to figure out how to become a photographer, this article is for you.
You can make a full time or part time living by being a photographer. The best part about being a photographer is that you can take your work with you. You can work at home, take a working holiday or bring your work with you on your every day travels. One of the best things about photography is that it is a passion, so you can turn something you love into a profitable business.
There are many ways to profit from photography. You can upload your work to the Internet where there are millions of buyers looking to buy your photos. Most photo databases online pay via PayPal, wire or check, so receiving income is not difficult at all. Once you’ve built up a portfolio and a little bit of a reputation, you can genuinely build a high paying career.
10 Steps on How to Become a Photographer
- Define yourself what you are drawn to visually; become aware of your identity and photography DNA.
- See and understand light; understand your photographic tools; technical, visual and emotional.
- Seek a mentor: Study the photographers before you, and learn from the old masters.
- Make rather than take. Create imagery.
- Connect with the person or place you are photographing; find an emotional as well as a visual perspective.
- Set goals and pursue them with tenacity; if these goals do not intimidate you, make new ones that do.
- Shoot, shoot, shoot. Taking pictures is like lifting weights. To make progress, exercise that creative muscle.
- Use Photoshop to infuse personality to pixels; convey feel and mood rather than technique.
- Define the potential audience of your images, and market yourself to this audience.
- Most importantly: don’t give up on your dream of becoming a photographer. It will take longer to get there than you think.
10 Steps on How to Become a Photographer: Comments
This video was great and motivational thank you so much. – reza ghiyasi
I just wanted to say thank you for this video. I have been facing exactly these issues inside myself and hearing another photographer say it helps me realize that I’m on the right path. The struggle is very real, but your advice has given me the confidence I needed again. Thank you so much. – Justyn Miller
Amazing! thank you so much for the boost, I’m pretty new to the whole photography world. But lately I have been having strong moments and thought that keep having my interest build and build. Great tips though make more helpful videos! – BTyrell
Jason Joyce Gives the Lowdown on Photography
Jason Joyce has captured thousands of celebrities, including Bono, Elton John, Morgan Freeman, Nick Cave, David Hasselhof and many others.
Jason Joyce Gives the Lowdown on Photography: Comments
So honoured to have Jason’s great talent here doing a shoot for The Zine – Caffy St Luce
wow, what a lifestyle, being around the rich and famous every day. – Lieutenant2
I would so love to live Jason’s life. I am envious. – Jade93